IFEX MEMBERS CONFRONT THREATS AGAINST JOURNALISTS
"Threats against journalists have become one of the most serious free-expression violations in Colombia because they encourage self-censorship or force individuals into exile," says the Antonio NariÃ±o Project (Proyecto Antonio NariÃ±o, PAN), a coalition of local press-freedom groups that are holding the conference jointly with the Organisation of American States' (OAS) Rapporteur on Free Expression.
The Foundation for Press Freedom (Fundacion para libertad de prensa, FLIP) is a member of PAN. "This situation is aggravated by the impunity surrounding these cases since the investigations almost never advance," encouraging further attacks against the press, PAN says.
The conference is expected to bring together 40 representatives of press-freedom and human rights groups, including the Institute for Press and Society (Instituto Prensa y Sociedad, IPYS), Reporters Without Borders (Reporters sans frontières, RSF), Canadian Journalists for Free Expression, the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ), Journalists Against Corruption (Periodistas Frente a la corrupcion, PFC) and IAPA.
Representatives of the IFEX Clearing House, International Media Support (IMS), Freedom Forum, the National Endowment for Democracy and the Center for Justice and International Law (CEJIL) have also been invited.
The OAS Rapporteur on Free Expression, Eduardo Bertoni, will open the conference with an overview of free expression and democratic development in Latin America.
It will be followed by a series of panels examining investigations into crimes against journalists, legal avenues of appeal for civil society organisations and methods of investigating threats.
A closed session of press-freedom groups will also be held to examine ongoing cases of threats and future actions.
For more information about the conference, contact PAN at: email@example.com.">mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com.
Visit these links:
- RSF: www.rsf.org">http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=4580">www.rsf.org
- CPJ: www.cpj.org">http://www.cpj.org/Briefings/2001/Colombia_sep01/Colombia_sep01.html">www.cpj.org
- IAPA: www.sipiapa.com">http://www.sipiapa.com/pulications/report_colombia2003.cfm">www.sipiapa.com
- FLIP: www.flip.org.co">http://www.flip.org.co">www.flip.org.co
- OAS Rapporteur on Free Expression: www.cidh.oas.org">http://www.cidh.oas.org/Relatoria/default.htm">www.cidh.oas.org
- Media for Peace: www.mediosparalapaz.org">http://www.mediosparalapaz.org/index.php?idcategoria=1285">www.mediosparalapaz.org
- IMS: www.i-m-s.dk