

Security climate worsens for journalists in the Central African Republic
Reporters Without Borders strongly condemns a recent increase in threats and violence against journalists, including threats by government officials in the Central African Republic.

Following coup, rebels ransack Central African media outlets
At least two news outlets were raided in the Central African Republic on Sunday when rebel groups ousted the president from power, according to news reports and local press freedom groups.

Central African journalist found injured, but alive
Radio Be Oko journalist Elisabeth Blanche Olofio was not, as previously reported, killed when members of the Séléka rebel coalition occupied the central town of Bambari in early January.

Central African journalist killed amidst revolt
A month-old armed uprising against President François Bozizé’s government has fostered acts of violence against community radio stations and journalists. Elisabeth Blanche Olofio was killed when rebels attacked her radio station.

Press Freedom Day presidential pardon for jailed newspaper editor
The pardon came after the Union of Journalists announced they would refrain from commemorating World Press Freedom Day in protest against Samba’s detention.

Editor sentenced to 10 months in jail on libel charge
The court also ordered Ferdinand Samba to pay 15,000 euros in damages and a fine of 1,500 euros, and banned “Le Démocrate” from publishing for one year.

Editor jailed in politicised case
Police arrested Ferdinand Samba, top editor of the private daily “Le Démocrate”, due to the paper’s critical coverage of a presidential relative who also serves as the government’s finance minister.

Judge fines and releases two journalists
“We felt the effect of the strong campaign on our behalf by international organizations, RSF, foreign ministries, the UN and local journalists,” said Faustin Bambou, one of the the two released journalists.

Prosecutor seeks three-year jail terms for detained editors
Following a successful campaign to get a press law that ended prison sentences for journalists in defamation cases, the conviction of Faustin Bambou and Emmanuel Cyrus Sandy could mark a serious setback for civil liberties in the country, says RSF.

Journalist detained despite decriminalisation of press law offences
Faustin Bambou is charged with “inciting violence and hatred” following publication of several articles about embezzlement.

Daily suspended for two weeks
(RSF/IFEX) – Reporters Without Borders voices its support for the newspaper editors who have decided to cease publication for two weeks, starting on 21 April 2009, in solidarity with the daily “L’Hirondelle”. The newspaper was suspended by the High Council for Communication (HCC) for two weeks from 20 April for publishing an article on 2 […]

World Report 2009: Central African Republic (CAR)
World Report 2009: Central African Republic (CAR)

World Report 2008: Central African Republic
World Report 2008: Central African Republic

Editor freed after receiving presidential pardon
(RSF/IFEX) – Reporters Without Borders hails Faustin Bambou’s release on 23 February 2008 following an announcement on the national radio station that he had been pardoned by President François Bozizé. The editor of the privately-owned weekly “Les Collines de l’Oubangui”, Bambou spent six weeks in prison. He was sentenced to six months in prison on […]

Freedom of the Press 2007: Central African Republic
Freedom of the Press 2007: Central African Republic

Newspaper editor sentenced to six months in prison on charges of libel, insult and “incitement to revolt”
(RSF/IFEX) – Reporters Without Borders condemns the six-month prison sentence passed on 28 January 2008 on Faustin Bambou, the editor of the privately-owned weekly “Les Collines de l’Oubangui”, on charges of libel, insult and “incitement to revolt” because of an article accusing two ministers of taking kickbacks. “Bambou is the victim of judicial manoeuvring designed […]